Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Saving My Face (skincare)

Currently listening to: Saving My Face by KT Tunstall (see what I did there?)

Greetings girls!

Today I thought I'd do a post about skincare. To start with, let's take a look at the skincare products I've bought since September 2010 and recap on my recent skincare routine history:

The brands are Superdrug's Essential range, Tesco's Clear Skin range, Asda's Clear Skin range, Clearasil, St Ives and Liz Earle. I don't mind investing in skincare if I know a product will really work but I do tend to stick to supermarket/drugstore brands.

The first range I tried was Tesco's, which attracted me because it is paraben free and contains salicylic acid (an ingredient which is supposed to promote good skin). When using this product my face broke out quite badly, it got to the stage where a new spot would appear every day. I stuck with this product for three weeks to see if my skin would improve but eventually I became tired of seeing the condition of my skin gradually worsen.

I then tried the Clearasil product but that didn't help at all so I began to wonder if salicylic acid was the problem.

I was really happy when I read the list of ingredients for the Asda product and discovered it didn't contain salicylic acid. I used this for a couple of weeks and saw a drastic improvement in my skin. Hurray.

However, things took a turn for the worse after Christmas when I incorporated Liz Earle's Cleanse & Polish into my routine. I don't want to believe that this product everyone raves about isn't suitable for my skin so I'm doing a trial now, using no other skincare products apart from Cleanse & Polish. I've been doing this for a week or so now and so far I haven't had an adverse reaction. I'll stay with it for a couple more weeks to really give it a good go before seeing if it's worth adding the Asda face wash back into the routine. Perhaps I won't need to, who knows.

What skincare products do you use? Are there any that you've tried which didn't agree with your skin?
Bye for now,
Laura

6 comments:

  1. I used a sample of the Clinique 3 step system. It had my skin terrible! Dry, spotty, red and it just looked awful! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neutrogena has always been my go-to product that helped my skin. Sadly they don't sell it here... So I tried clinique, which seemed harsh at first but I just needed time to adjust but the soap wasn't all that imo... Now, I use neutrogena for cleanser, and clinique for toner and moisturizer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting post :) What's special about the Liz Earle one? Do you need to do anything different compared with normal cleanser?

    Neutrogena seems to be too strong for my skin and I end up all red and hot. So now I'm using Clean&Clear gentle cleanser (soap-free) or cleansing oils.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i know what you mean about salicylic acid making our skin condition worse. i don't know why though, it's supposed to be good for our skin. hmmm...

    <3, Mimi
    http://whatmimiwrites.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Olivia, oh I remember the Clinique trial feedback! Terrible when a new product or routine lets you down.

    @Rilakumaki, glad you have a new routine that suits you :-)

    @Wing, ha, I haven't yet discovered what's special about the Liz Earle one. You use a muslin cloth with it which is supposed to gently exfoliate your skin. It smells nice too.

    @Mimi, I was so shocked today - I discovered salicylic acid is in St Ives scrub too! I've been using that once a week for months now and never realised

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope the Liz Earle one works for you! I've been trying new products lately too, but I haven't found anything I love yet. I guess I'll have to keep on trying!
    By the way, Saving my face is one of my favourite songs ever! KT Tunstall is amazing! :D x

    ReplyDelete

Reading your comments makes my day, leave me one to have your say :-)